TW200 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
TW200 Forum

Forum for all TW200 Owners/enthusiasts

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Suggestions for first upgrades?

Go down 
+4
mudpuppy
mrgizmow1
Admiral
TWHoyt
8 posters
AuthorMessage
TWHoyt

Suggestions for first upgrades? Empty
PostSubject: Suggestions for first upgrades?   Suggestions for first upgrades? Empty8/22/2010, 8:15 pm

Hey all,
I'm new to riding and new to the TW. I have an '03 that is completey stock except for a cycleracks rear rack. What should be my first upgrades?

I'm also a pretty big guy and would like to be able to get a little more power out of this what should be the first upgrade I try for that?

If you guys have some ideas I would love to hear them.

Thanks
Jason
Back to top Go down
Admiral
Admiral

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for first upgrades?   Suggestions for first upgrades? Empty8/22/2010, 9:00 pm

There are so many options when it comes to upgrading or improving the TW. I'm not an engine guy, so I'll leave the suggestions to those that have done that type of thing.

Some of the minor upgrades I have seen that are reasonable in cost: different handlebars or adding handlebar risers, larger foot pegs, D2 motors is one suggestion and you can get them from this site http://www.d2moto.com/p-6736-yamaha-pw-50-80-tw-200-foot-pegs.aspx, plus I have seen them on ebay for the same price. I have yet to get a pair, but am going too. I hear they are a real plus. Many upgrade the front tire, lot of different options. Most do not like the stock front and look for a change.

Some other riders do some more radical changes to the front suspension and raising the front fender. Another upgrade is adding a trail tech speedometer/tachometer/temp gauge combination. I'll be doing the Vapor model, other models are available.

From what I hear from the folks who have gotten the front fork rack, maybe not worth it. Apparently if you put much on, it blocks the front headlight.

Of course there are many, many options available, but this should get your mind a-thinkin.
Back to top Go down
TWHoyt

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for first upgrades?   Suggestions for first upgrades? Empty8/23/2010, 9:30 pm

Sounds good, the link to the foot pegs did not work but I will look them up. I have heard the ones on ebay require some modification. I'm not sure how much a simple bolt on is worth over the headache of modifying.

I was also looking at grip heaters and barkbuster. you have any ideas on ones that work well?

Thanks for the info

Jason
Back to top Go down
mrgizmow1

mrgizmow1

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for first upgrades?   Suggestions for first upgrades? Empty8/24/2010, 7:41 am

Lots of folks have used those footpegs and it seems the mod is pretty easy to deal with. A few folks have expressed interest in grip heaters, but it seems the cautionary note here is amperage draw. The TW has a modest elect. system and may not handle the heaters with all the lights on. I pretty much only ride during the day, I installed an additional switch so I can turn the headlite off when on the trail. I think that would help in making power available for the heaters, but then, if you are on the road with cars, keeping those lights on is important. Gerry
Back to top Go down
http://mrgizmow@aol.com
mudpuppy

PostSubject: Oversized foot pegs from China / eBay   Suggestions for first upgrades? Empty8/25/2010, 2:52 pm

I just put the information on a vendor for the d2moto style oversized pegs, as well as install pics, in the modification section of this forum. I am very happy with these, as are the others who have purchased them recently. https://tw200.forumotion.com/oh-those-sweet-mods-f9/oversized-foot-pegs-from-china-ebay-t177.htm
Back to top Go down
TWHoyt

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for first upgrades?   Suggestions for first upgrades? Empty8/25/2010, 8:28 pm

All the info is great. I will do some more checking before I go with grip heaters. Is there any one brand of barkbusters that seem to work good, or is it just personal preference?

Keep the ideas coming, please.

Thanks
Jason
Back to top Go down
TWHoyt

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for first upgrades?   Suggestions for first upgrades? Empty8/25/2010, 8:39 pm

Mudpuppy, that link was awesome and the pictures were excellent. I am going to order those pegs tonight.

thanks
Jason
Back to top Go down
davidsonsgccc

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for first upgrades?   Suggestions for first upgrades? Empty9/12/2010, 5:03 am

im sure you have already considered it by now but if you are looking for more power you may want to change sprocket size in the rear sprocket. it wont change the power of the engine but it will change how you use what you have. for topend speed or bottom end pull there are threads on this site and the other one www.tw200forum.com that will help you decide which way to go. it is fairly inexpensive to change sprockets and a good job to get started with on your new to you tw. there have been claims that installing a web camshaft is a good performance mod. i have been considering looking deeper into this one myself.
i hope this helps.
shawn

p.s. i hope it was ok to plug the other forum here.
Back to top Go down
TWHoyt

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for first upgrades?   Suggestions for first upgrades? Empty9/30/2010, 8:30 pm

Thanks Shawn,
I was looking into swapping gears. I don't want to loose any low end trail ability. I hope to get some trail miles this month and get a better idea of what I can do with the bike.

I will look into the cam as well.

Thanks
Jason
Back to top Go down
Woofhound

Woofhound

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for first upgrades?   Suggestions for first upgrades? Empty6/7/2011, 8:03 pm

I would definately advise some kind of hand guards. bark busters are good, the downside to them is that if you crash and your arm goes over the bars the guards can break your arm. a Jimbo shield is nice if you do any street riding and will not interfere with offroading. grip heaters will work, but you will need to reduce the current draw of your lighting system. I replaced my front turn/running lightbulbs and dash bulbs with led's and converted the headlight to HID which probably dropped the running load by 3-4 amps. With the HID being a single beam bulb i can run with the headlight off while offroad which is another 3 amp reduction. Also the HID gives off about 3 times the light as the stock bulb. As for more power I'd say forget about it. A pipe and jetting will perk it up a little, but after all it's only a 200 cc bike and i haven't found anywhere mine won't go so far. woof
Back to top Go down
DesertRat

DesertRat

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for first upgrades?   Suggestions for first upgrades? Empty7/4/2011, 12:44 pm

Woofhound,

can i get some info about you light conversion (LED/HID)? I have been wanting to do this but unsure about doing it. do you consider it "worth it" or not and who did you go through to get the lights? thank you,

DesertRat
Back to top Go down
frog13

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for first upgrades?   Suggestions for first upgrades? Empty4/1/2012, 12:47 pm

Rejet(main) and adjust the pilot screw about 2-2.5 turns out....just this alone will make a big difference...all machines come from the factory lean as can be....per the EPA regulations....machines run hotter,more energy is actually used....hmmmm,they are trying to accomplish what exactly?.We know.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for first upgrades?   Suggestions for first upgrades? Empty

Back to top Go down

Suggestions for first upgrades?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
TW200 Forum :: General :: Main Discussion-
Jump to: