TW200 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
TW200 Forum

Forum for all TW200 Owners/enthusiasts

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

91 to 05 engine swap....question about the wiring

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
06vmax

91 to 05 engine swap....question about the wiring Empty
PostSubject: 91 to 05 engine swap....question about the wiring   91 to 05 engine swap....question about the wiring Empty2/14/2011, 4:39 am

Hi guys! Newbie here, and I am in the midst of swapping a 91 tw200 engine into a 05 tw200 frame. I have the swap completed, except for the wiring. I came across the fact that there is an extra wire coming out of the magneto/coil area on the 91 engine, and was wondering if its easier to change the flywheel, pickups and coils from the 05 engine (if it can be done, and operate correctly) or if its easier to change the entire wiring harness between the two bikes. It looks like I will have to swap everything over including the handlebar controls if I swap the wiring harnesses. The long story is that the 05 blew the engine and the owner came across the 91 to install into it. He is giving me the 91 chassis and the blown engine from the 05 as payment for my work, and I will rebuild it at my leisure and install it. Some insight into what is the best route would be helpful. Thanks, Bob
Back to top Go down
mrgizmow1

mrgizmow1

PostSubject: Re: 91 to 05 engine swap....question about the wiring   91 to 05 engine swap....question about the wiring Empty2/14/2011, 5:35 pm

That question is best asked on the 'other' forum. The 2005 has an upgraded electrial system over the 1991, but I have no idea how the extra wire factors in. I think the Admiral put a link to the other site in his recent reply to another new member a few days ago. Good luck. Gerry ( http://tw200forum.com/ )
Back to top Go down
http://mrgizmow@aol.com
06vmax

PostSubject: Re: 91 to 05 engine swap....question about the wiring   91 to 05 engine swap....question about the wiring Empty2/17/2011, 5:00 am

Ok, I solved my own problem and am posting so others will know. The wiring harnesses cannot be changed between the two bikes, due to the fact that Yamaha changed quite a few things between 91 and 05. Alot of the problems are: different handlebar controls which are not interchangeable due to the 05 having disc brakes(master cyl on right side-hits the 91 throttle), also wire plug in locations between the two bikes present a problem. The solution I came up with was to swap the left side covers, which contain the stator/pickup coils. When doing this, you must make sure to change the sprocket retention bolts....91 sprocket bolts rub...the 05 has smaller heads, which allow the correct clearance. Bike is currently up and running.
Back to top Go down
mrgizmow1

mrgizmow1

PostSubject: Re: 91 to 05 engine swap....question about the wiring   91 to 05 engine swap....question about the wiring Empty2/20/2011, 12:18 am

Thanks for posting your solution, it will really be a help to others. Gerry
Back to top Go down
http://mrgizmow@aol.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 91 to 05 engine swap....question about the wiring   91 to 05 engine swap....question about the wiring Empty

Back to top Go down

91 to 05 engine swap....question about the wiring
Page 1 of 1